The one Democrat not talking about abortion
Black Democrats remain more conservative on abortion than their fellow white Democrats.
Across the country, most Democratic candidates have hung their electoral fortunes on the threat to abortion rights, elevating it as the issue in which to disqualify their Republican opponents in a majority of voters’ minds.
There’s been a notable exception shunning that playbook: Georgia’s Raphael Warnock.
Read my entire piece for McClatchyDC HERE.
“You split the Black church,” said Cyrus Garrett, a Democratic strategist who directed Southern states for Joe Biden’s 2020 presidential race and is working on the Georgia races this cycle. “Why would you split your base down there like that and make that a contentious issue?”
An EMC Research poll, conducted on behalf of NARAL Pro-Choice Georgia at the end of last month, tabulated that 79% of Black men oppose the state’s abortion ban, leaving a notable 21% at least open to a hardline restriction. A September 2020 Gallup report found that only 46% of Black Americans find abortion to be morally acceptable.
“Black Americans have become more liberal on abortion over time, but they remain more conservative than their fellow Democrats,” noted a September 2020 Gallup national report, written by Frank Newport.
Full piece HERE.